Saturday, November 2, 2013

WriMo in Progress - Update, Day 2

Although it's still very early on, so far it's been an amazing start to National Novel Writing Month, 2013 Edition. Things kicked off at midnight Friday morning, and I spent those first few hours participating in #WriteClub writing sprints led by the folks at Friday Night Writes (@FriNightWrites on Twitter), who have been hosting a 48 hour marathon since the WriMo began. NaNoWriMo has also been hosting official sprints through the @NaNoWordSprints account. By the end of day one, I'd reached a total of 4,211 words, which happened surprisingly quickly though I'm not foolish enough to expect that rate of progress to continue the entire month. I would, however, prefer it if I were able to complete the novel within a month's time, which would require at least doubling the NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 words. It will, for the time being, have to remain to be seen whether or not this can be accomplished. 

Where my novel, The Third Face of Janus, is concerned, I feel things are coming along rather nicely. There are multiple overlapping elements, and despite the absence of a standard story arc I've identified a theme that the novel should, in the end, address to a satisfying extent. There's even subtext that, with any luck, will remain subtle enough to avoid obscuring the story proper. For now, I'm content to find myself writing what amount to episodes, to be linked together as the novel fleshes out over the course of the month.

I decided to make a celebration of Day 1, once my daily goal had been met and exceeded. It's been overwhelmingly awesome in the classic sense of the word, witnessing the fun and excitement of this event. Having taken that first day easy, I feel ready to tackle the task with gusto here on Day 2. Time to bite on the old nail, as Hemingway would say. There's writing to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment