Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dewey's Read-a-Thon: Fit the Second


We've reached the end of the first quarter of Read-a-Thon, and things seem to have settled quite a bit after an extremely boisterous first few hours. Already I've made new friends, viewed new blogs, entered a few of the challenges, and of course accomplished a small amount of reading in the few spare moments I've had left. Much as the name of the event implies a devotion to actual reading, it's apparent that there's so much more to Dewey's Read-a-Thon than that. It's about camaraderie, the celebrating of a shared passion, and the making of memories as the day unfolds in a way that one couldn't easily confuse with any old Saturday.

As I read through The Time Traveler's Wife, I'm struck by so many aspects that cause the book to stand out profoundly from the rest of those I've read. To be sure, I've read a fair number of truly excellent works, but there's something about this particular title that touches me deeply and personally. One is hard pressed to draw parallels between oneself and a character so fanciful as the temporally-impaired Henry DeTamble, yet the life he attempts to lead, and the struggles he and Clare endure, despite his unique handicap are at once unique to the deepest of loving relationships and common to all of humanity. This two-fold exploration is part of what makes the story so compelling, to say nothing of the many other noteworthy nuances that contribute to the fully-formed world in which these characters dwell. I look forward to sharing my thoughts on the novel in greater detail sometime soon, as well as expounding on its cinematic adaptation. For the time being, I'm happy to find it difficult to remain at the computer. There are few things as wonderful as being caught up in a favorite book, and I aim to enjoy that experience today as much as possible.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked the Time Travelers Wife (the book, I'm not a fan of the movie). You seem to be enjoying your read-a-thon so far keep up the good work!! #teambear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie definitely has its flaws, while I tend to feel the book is more or less perfect. Thanks for the cheering-on!

      Delete
  2. I participated in the readathon for the first time this year in April (I'm participating as a cheerleader this time) and I totally agree with your assessment, Dewey's legacy is about so much more than just reading, my favourite memories of the readathon are not from the reading itself but the amazing swell of support and community I felt during it. It's such a spectacular event! So glad to hear you are enjoying The Time Traveler's Wife because that book has been on my to-read list for ages and for some reason haven't picked it up yet.
    Good luck with completing the rest of the readathon. :) Here's a little cheer to keep you going:

    Read, read, read that book,
    Whether on paper or a nook.
    We all know you can do it,
    Your determination will get you though it!

    Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppp reading. :)

    You may be sleepy, you may be tired,
    But your dedication is most admired.
    If you’re wilting don’t despair,
    A cup of tea/coffee will get you there!

    Ra-ra-Readathon!

    Team Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't reply right away, but thanks so much for your comments and encouragement!

      Delete
  3. I can't help but think 'River Song!' when I read 'The Time Traveler's Wife', but that may just be me (^_^;)\

    How has your read-a-thon been? Did you achieve what you want? Had plenty of coffee and/or naps? Looking forward to more! (that goes for coffee/naps AND read-a-thons! :D)

    Best Wishes,
    Cy-V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The association's a valid one--River's character was in part inspired by The Time Traveler's Wife (after all, she is, isn't she?). It's part of the reason I decided to watch the movie, as River is my all-time favorite companion

      Delete
    2. Aaaah! I haven't read it yet, unfortunately. (Nor seen the movie). It's on my to be read-list though. Maybe time to make that happen!
      And yeah, she's mine too. Shame that they promised more background than was delivered, but nevertheless I like her best! She got sass.
      And 'Silence in the library' was my first episode. My friends knew what to show me when I asked 'what's this Doctor Who you've been raving about?'. Like most booklovers I want to live on that planet! :p

      Delete
    3. You know, if it helps push you toward The Time Traveler's Wife any, Henry's a librarian, and he meets his future wife while at work...

      Delete