Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: October 2014 Edition


Life has been a ceaseless jumble for the past few months, and that trend hasn't let up just to accommodate my autumnal habits. Read-a-thon, like so many other interests, will take some shoe-horning to fit in, but it will not be denied! I began my first Read-a-thon nearly an hour into the event, so by that measure I'm not doing too badly by drafting this post only 15 minutes late. Let's get going!

Reading Choices


The trouble I have in choosing a book for Read-a-thon plagues me throughout the year, and will likely continue doing so for much of my life. Having put together a sizeable personal library, I suffer from an abundance of options, such that it's rarely easy to select a fresh read. I decided soon after waking that my decision needs to satisfy three criteria:

1. It should be something I haven't read yet.

2. It should be something that, by all accounts, I should have read by now.

3. It should be something suitable to the season, i.e. mysterious, scary, or otherwise creepy.

...and the answer was staring me right in the face, before the first bookshelf came under consideration.

I should read Stephen King's It


I'd recently come across someone who reminded me that there are people deathly afraid of clowns, and the word "creepy" instantly led to an imagining of Pennywise's shark-toothed visage. I won't include it here, out of respect for the fact that coulrophobia—the irrational fear of clowns—is a real condition, and Read-a-thon should be an inclusive event. Also, the look of the man himself is sufficiently imposing, I believe.

Also, a bit handsome in this pic, don't you think?
I could go on about Stephen King's influence on my writing, the number of his books I have or haven't read, but it's already half an hour into the Read-a-thon and I'm still busy formatting the first post. Moving on!

Opening Meme


1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I'm participating in this year's Read-a-thon, as always, from the comfort of my lovely book-nook of an apartment in Youngstown, OH. However, thanks to recent developments, I can further specify that I'll be doing so from the added comfort of a cushy new (to me) recliner, my favorite of all reading locations.

2. What book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Given its size, I expect my first reading choice will comprise the stack entirely.

3. Which snack are you most looking forward to? Is coffee a snack? More of that. Lots more.

4. Tell us something about yourself! A little over six weeks in, and this year's beard is looking lush and magnificent.

5. If you participated in the last Read-a-thon, what's one thing you'll do differently today? Each of the previous two Read-a-thons lost me to sleep for a larger chunk of the day than I had planned. This is the first attempt for which I have actually slept an appropriate amount beforehand, and so it's hoped that the difference this time around will be my continued participation!

So there it is! My opening post, and hopefully the first of many updates on a tremendous amount of reading progress and the usual amount of fun engaging with so many others sharing Dewey's love for reading. A good Read-a-thon to one and all—let the reading commence!

6 comments:

  1. Great choice! and you are being cheered by #TeamKing! so it has to be a good sign ;) I loved that book and hope you enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had people tell me it's a must-read for at least a decade now, but King's a challenge no matter which book you choose. Carrie and Christine left me feeling almost traumatized, so there's no telling how I'll come away from this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was considering Gerald's Game for this readathon, but the week got busy and I never made it to the bookstore. I read It ages ago, but it definitely made an impression. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many of King's books, and I NEVER read them. This is true for so much of my overall collection, and it needs to change. So many books I've set aside for some vague notion of "someday", and I'm not getting any younger!

      Delete
  4. Great opening post. Look forward to seeing how you have been doing. Hope it's been fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Coffee hadn't even had time to cool, let alone kick in, but I had a strong start that's making a comeback now that the final hours are approaching. One of these days, I'll approach the Read-a-thon properly prepared and organized, and on that day I think I'll miss the seat-of-my-pants feeling terribly.

      Delete