Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: The Long Hard Road into Hell


Initially, when considering my Read-a-thon options, I'd wanted something uplifiting, positively life-changing, to brighten the end of an otherwise difficult week/month/etc. I'd also wanted something substantial, however, and not many cheerful reads at my disposal were of the sort to be anything more than simply entertaining. There's nothing wrong with that, of course—it's preferable in most cases, I should think—but what I wanted most of all was some gravity. Boy-oh-boy, did I get it.

I slept hard last night, dreamt of zombie apocalypses (which isn't even remotely my style), and shortly after setting things up for the day's event discovered I had the sort of sinus headache that throws "Up" and "Down" out the window, leaving me disoriented, and painfully far from the sort of zeal I'd like to have when tackling the day. Add the cold and the gray outside to the dismal run-up, and honestly I can't think of a better personal setting for one of King's darkest tales.

It's been slow goings, but I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't read much of King's fiction, though I own at least a dozen works all told. Carrie and Christine each left me feeling sickly inside, somewhat sullied, as if I'd besmirched my soul by allowing their scenes to play out in my mind. I expect no less from IT, but hope that I'm more prepared to cope.

I see a lot of progress amongst my Read-a-thon compatriots, books falling by the hundreds; I won't be matching their speed today. But I don't mind. It's enough for me to spend the day reading, at whatever pace I can manage, and sharing once again in the celebrating of a love for literature. After a quick lunch, I'll get back to it, and with any luck at least take down a few more chapters before another update feels due. Until then, happy reading to everyone participating, and anyone else who just feels like curling up with a book this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely don't worry about how much other do, or don't do. Just have fun!! Sounds like you are, so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a point of finishing my chosen reads during the last Read-a-thon, and while that sense of triumph was nothing to sneeze at, I still felt I lost something by rushing through those final few dozen pages. There's so much to do during these 24 hours, it's a wonder anyone finishes anything at all, but I see the completed titles adding up and am astounded. I figure there are more than enough books being read, I can live with only getting so far and still enjoy every minute of it.

      Delete
  2. One of the creepiest books EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt! King's books always leave me feeling like I've been touched by purest darkness, and this one might be the darkest yet, if not the darkest of all. Honestly, it's an exciting prospect! Must get back to it.

      Delete