Friday, April 25, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: Redux

Let's get this out of the way--it's been ages since my last post. The time away's been rather well spent, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to hearing the blog beckon in the quieter moments of the last few weeks. Much as I felt myself gradually gravitating toward a return to regular activities here at the Fane, it's taken an occasion such as this to light the necessary fires under the appropriate keister: It's time once again for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon



The Read-a-thon, which has taken place biannually since October of 2007, is a fascinating social media spectacle to behold. Last October's Read-a-thon was my first, and it was an experience which forever altered my opinion of social media. Participants pledge to spend an entire 24 hour period reading as many books as possible (or in my case that first outing, embarrassingly, only some of one book I'd already started), blog about said books, engage in witty banter with fellow participants on Twitter and Facebook, and throw themselves headlong into the periodic onslaught of hourly book-related mini-challenges. I'd been part of of book-loving communities before, but never anything so delightfully frenzied as this. I came away from the experience ridiculously more familiar with--and appreciative of--Twitter, felt I'd finally come of age as a member of the blogosphere, and whet my appetite for literature in ways that surely contributed to the rousing success of the following month's NaNoWriMo effort. With so many wonderful attributes to its credit, I'd be remiss were I to ever allow myself to miss a single Read-a-thon again.

And yet, for all the festivities surrounding our shared love for the written word, I couldn't help having come away from the experience disappointed in myself. I didn't manage my sleep schedule properly, and napped more than a few hours of the day; I'd given myself what seemed such a short reading list, and yet failed to complete even a single volume. I could have blogged more frequently, between chapters perhaps, and what's more I should have parlayed that frequency into a long-standing habit (which is clearly not the case, as evidenced by my recent lapse). And so, in the spirit of my new approach to the concept of resolution, I have decided to tackle this year's Read-a-thon not with set goals but with an eye on doing my best to simply do more. I haven't even decided on the first (if not only) book I'll be reading--that can wait until morning--but I do know, with absolute certainty, that I will have an unbelievably good time of it. And I know the other fantastic people joining in on the fun will have blasts of their own. The time's almost upon us and, no matter what, buried in books is definitely the place to be.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for reading until your butt gets numb! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray and huzzah, I'm so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of simply doing more. That's a good attitude! Good luck and have fun -- that's what's most important! (#teamwordsworth cheerleader!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's such an air of celebration. It *feels* like a special day today, the way Christmas *feels* like Christmas all day long.

      Delete
  4. I hope that you are having fun today while reading some really GREAT books! No pressure, just lots and lots of reading :)

    Keep it up and Happy Reading!

    *Team Wordsworth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure at all. In fact, I'm so relaxed, I've slept through most of the day so far. Back on task, now, and loving it.

      Delete