Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: Mission Accomplished

It should come as no surprise, how difficult it is writing anything of merit after so many hours spent cramming the words of others into my head. Between the cerebral and physical exhaustion, and the elation of having successfully completed the reading of two books (where last year I failed to finish even one), I'm properly knackered. But it's a good feeling. I eschewed much of the interaction I enjoyed last time around, which was a sacrifice, but this decision was, ultimately, the key to my success. And though I may not have had as much fun with the many fine people sharing in the celebration of Read-a-thon, I did experience a tremendous degree of joy in proving to myself, once again, just how much I love to read. 



My second choice, following on the fanciful heels of The Invention of Hugo Cabret, was the inimitable classic, The Princess Bride. Not much, I trust, needs be said about a story so deeply ingrained in the pop cultural zeitgeist, owing so much to the brilliant cinematic adaptation with which so many are familiar. I'll likely cover the title and its on-screen progeny in a page-to-screen review in the near future, but for now I think it sufficient to say it was every bit the "Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure" promised by its title page. I'm glad to have finally given myself the excuse to read it, years after having acquired it and set it aside for a special occasion. 

Read-a-thon is, and always will be, a special occasion all its own, and while I hope to avoid setting too high a standard for myself in the future, much as I did in this instance, I do expect myself to sleep before the event begins, so I can do even more reading in the allotted 24-hour span. For now, I think I'll be content with what I accomplished, applaud all that was accomplished by my fellow Read-a-thoners, and rest my eyes a little while. There's no denying the fact that I'm taken by my love for literature, and I'll no doubt find myself looking for yet another book to read sometime shortly after waking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment