Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: The Best Laid Plans...

Given last year's lapse in Read-a-thon activity, I should have expected a similar hiccup the second time around. After struggling to sleep, due to my excitement over the coming event, I managed a small nap just as the sun was beginning to rise. I fully intended to waken a few hours later and tackle whichever book happened to be my first choice; instead, I awoke roughly 8 hours later, feeling thoroughly groggy, and more than a little guilty. It's now over 10 hours into the Read-a-thon, but I'm finally on task. First up: The Invention of Hugo Cabret.


Admittedly, this borders on the verge of cheating, as the book is comprised largely of illustrations, rather than text. But there's a quality to the illustrations and their purpose which requires the reader to pause and consider each scene. Much of the story is told through these expert drawings, the depth and detail of which is matched perfectly to the imaginative text they accompany. While it's true that I chose this book first for the likelihood it would be a quick read, it's also one I've long wanted to read and, as it's turning out, one which I've long needed to read. I'll need to finish before I can offer a proper analysis or final judgment, but for the time being it's a captivating and thoroughly delightful story. 

Reading and stumblings aside, I must say that, despite my middling progress, the day has still been remarkably its own. There's a celebratory tinge to the air, as if even the mundane tasks of the day are made better by the fact of this being a holiday of sorts. Much as many voice a wish that the holiday spirit could last year round, so too do I find myself wishing this enthusiasm for books—and the gleeful sharing of that enthusiasm—could be a regular theme of life. And perhaps it is, to a degree, but never more so than during a Read-a-thon. It really is a shame to have missed so much of it, but that's in the past now. The day's a-wastin', best get back to it!!!

3 comments:

  1. You have chosen a great book to start readathoning. I'm sorry you didn't get any sleep last night, but this is one of the cases when late is better than never. Hope you can manage a good chunk of reading time today!

    Have fun reading! #TeamWordsworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah rah READ! I hope the rest of the readathon goes well for you... I napped today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly better late than never! Your book sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy the rest of the RAT.

    ReplyDelete