Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dewey's Read-a-Thon: Aftermath, Pt. 1

There's so much to be said for the experience of last weekend's Read-a-Thon. So much, in fact, that I doubt it can be contained in a single post. Considering that I have yet to finish the first book on my Read-a-Thon list (though I think I'm finally in the homestretch), most of what I'd like to cover will have to wait.

For now, I'd just like to touch upon an observation that struck me rather early in the course of that day: With so many new contacts in the blogging community comes a desire to follow the work and progress of said contacts. This led me to wonder, exactly how does one follow so many blogs all at once? It seemed impractical to bookmark and check each of them on a daily basis, and similarly inefficient to put my name on dozens of mailing lists. The answer came from one such contact, in the form of Bloglovin, a free site which functions as a tailored aggregator, compiling a custom feed of any and all blogs one chooses to follow.


Signing up was easy enough; I had the option of using my Facebook account, but opted to go the standard route of setting up a profile attached to my email address. From there, I was prompted to start with at least 5 blogs I'd like to follow. After selecting those 5, I was offered the opportunity to include the posts of Facebook friends. This seems like a nice feature, though unnecessary to the cause, so I declined. Lastly, I decided to add to the details of my Bloglovin profile, and "claiming" The Scholar's Fane as mine.

Over the next few days, I'll add the blogs of those with whom I became acquainted over the course of the Read-a-Thon, and with any luck some of them might do the same. I felt that my interactions over the course of the event introduced me to a larger world, initiating me into the general book-blogging community at large. I'm tremendously excited about nurturing this feeling, and as my blog grows, hopefully so too will my relationships with the many other fantastic bloggers out there.

So, in addition to the Fane's Facebook and Twitter pages, I give you a new means of keeping up to date on the latest news, reviews, and musings from the Fane: Click here to follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment